Featured Gas Cleaning Solutions
Converter Retrofit Project
Landmark EPA legislation created new SO2 NAAQS. GCT developed the project from Concept through to EPCM for the Asarco Hayden Copper Smelter (Arizona) to improve SO2 and dust emissions from smelter operations to achieve the new ambient air concentration limit of 75 ppb SO2 on a 1-hour average.
Key Project Features:
- Replace 5 converter operation with 3 larger converters, complete with controls, flux and scrap feed systems, ladles and tuyere punchers.
- Improve hooding and off gas collection systems to achieve > 99% sulfur fixation.
- Install new converter primary gas handling including spray chambers, ESP, fans, water cooled hoods, secondary hoods and damper controls.
- Retrofit 1911 era building to accommodate new larger converters, ancillary equipment and install a roof canopy system for tertiary ventilation.
- Upgrade plant infrastructure to include: blast air blowers, air compressors, cooling towers, and electrical substation.
- Install new acid plant wet gas cleaning and sludge drying system.
Total Investment: ~ 200 MUSD
Electric Arc Furnace Off-Gas System Design
GCT provided engineering and design services to Nucor to refurbish and re-open a shuttered steel mill in Memphis, TN. The air pollution control system was engineered to meet strict environmental requirements for a non-attainment area.
Key Project Features:
- Establish process design for the new APC system
- Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling to optimize EAF canopy hood arrangement and exhaust requirements
- Develop basic design and procurement packages for the Direct Evacuation Control (DEC) system for the EAF, baghouse system, I.D. fans and other purchased components
- Develop detailed engineering drawings and engineering works packages for fabricated components
- Continued support during procurement and construction
- Commissioning assistance and optimization
Total Investment: ~ 35 MUSD
Core Areas of Expertise
We Deliver Solutions Through Three Major Capabilities
Consulting / Advisory
- Identify system optimization opportunities
- Identify solutions to achieve environmental targets
- Support client interactions with regulatory agencies
Conceptual / Basic Design
- Use experience and benchmarks to engineer effective solutions
- Employ new innovations to tailor creative and innovative designs
- Consider economic, life cycle, and environmental impact of designs
Detailed Design / Implementation
- Deliver high quality engineering services at a competitive price
- Ensure project success through best-in-class project management
- Focus on client engagement at each step to ensure successful outcome
Our In-House Process Field Data Collection Expertise Along with an Extensive Available Database Support Our Engineering Solutions